Most Reverend Dr. John Ryan, Bishop of Limerick, aware of the sufferings of the catholic population residing in Limerick’s Old Town in the 1830’s besought Catherine McAuley to establish a foundation of the Mercy Sisters in Limerick.
On the feast of Our Lady of Mercy, 24 September, 1838, Catherine McAuley, and her foundation party of five sisters, including Sr. Elizabeth Moore, arrived at “St. Peter’s Cell”, the Poor Clare Convent in Limerick. They were welcomed by two surviving Poor Clare sisters who had remained on in Limerick after the departure of their companions eight years previously and who soon were affiliated to the Mercy Congregation. Henceforth, the convent would be called “St. Mary’s”.